Endocrinology is the branch of medicine that deals with the endocrine glands and hormones. This area of medicine focuses on diabetes management, thyroid disorders, glandular problems, osteoporosis and obesity. The UAP Endocrinology Department also offers thyroid ultrasounds, thyroid biopsies and iodine thyroid uptakes and ablations.
The UAP endocrinologists are experts in their field and are working every day to help their patients live the healthiest lives possible.
1429 North 6th Street, Terre Haute, IN 47807
Sullivan County: Sullivan County Community Hospital Specialty Clinic
Vermillion County: West Central Community Hospital Specialty Physicians Clinics
Edward Rico, MD
Stephanie Arnold, NP-C View bio.
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month: 10 things You May Not Know
UAP Clinic's Stephanie Arnold, NP, Endocrinology Department, has provided 10 things you may not know about diabetes:
- 25.8 million Americans have diabetes (or 8.3%) of the population in the Unites States. Of these, 7 million people do not know they have diabetes.
- 79 million adults over age 20 have prediabetes. Prediabetes is a condition where glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
- Not all adult diabetics are Type 2 diabetics and are often times misdiagnosed.
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 25.6 million Americans have diabetes who are between ages 20-65. This is 11.3% of this age group.
- 10.2% of non-Hispanic whites aged 20 years and older have either diagnosed or undiagnosed diabetes.
- 68% of diabetics will die from cardiovascular disease (heart disease or stroke).
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults aged 20–74 years.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure.
- $245 billion is the total cost annually of diagnosed diabetes in the United States in 2012.
For more information or an appointment with the UAP Clinic Endocrinology Department, please call 812.244.5055 or refer to the websites below.
Sources are from American Diabetes Association and NDEP-National Diabetes Education Program: